League of Legends is a popular Windows video game. The game has received many complaints due to multiple errors that occur like FPS drop, login unexpected, and a critical error, and the process must be terminated.
After an update, users say they are unable to play. A black screen displays with the error message, especially when you select a champion and are ready to kick off the match.
When you try to launch the game, you are greeted with the error message. The error is a barrier for many LoL fans from playing, so this post is about how to solve a critical error has occurred and the process must be terminated and enjoy your game.
One of the easiest ways and fast ways to fix this annoying error is to use the Restoro Repair Tool, a program that scans your PC for any corrupt files or drives that need updates.
Why “A critical error has occurred, and the Process must be Terminated” Occurs.
The error might occur due to different reasons like the ones listed below:
- Unstable internet connections
- Third-party antivirus programs that block some features of the game
- Most users experience the error when playing Legends on Windows 7 OS.
Begin by restarting your PC or resetting your router. If the two do not resolve the issue, you can proceed to try one of the fixes below, and one must work for you. But first, this is how to reset your router following the steps below:
- Remove the router from the power source for about two minutes
- Plug it back once the two minutes lapses
- If the error persists, relocate your modem and other wireless devices to get a stronger signal.
- So far, there should be a change, and if not, connect your PC to the router directly using an ethernet cable.
Solution 1: Run League of Legends as an Administrator
The lack of privilege rights can block a program from functioning as expected, which might be the case with LoL. Try running the game as an administrator following the guidelines below.
- Right-click the game’s shortcut (LoL) then Tap on Properties
- A new window will open so you check Run this program as an administrator under the Compatibility option
- Disable full-screen optimizations by unchecking the box then Ok and Apply to effect and save the changes.
Run the game again and see if the error, “a critical error has occurred, and the process must be terminated” is now fixed.
Solution 2. Delete the Configuration and Logs Folders
Most League of Legends errors are fixed by removing the Configuration and Logs folders within including this particular one. The solution has proved useful to many users. The guidelines below will lead you to this solution.
- Tap the Win + E keys to launch File Explorer and locate the folder containing League of Legends files.
Tip: By default the folder is in the C: > Program Files > League of Legends
2. Select all Config and Logs subfolders for LoL by clicking onDelete or Backspace key.
Solution 3: Reinstall League of Legends Using the Hextech Repair Tool
The Hextech Repair Tool is an excellent troubleshooting resource for League of Legends. The steps below will aid in fixing the critical error in LoL.
- Download and install the Hextech Repair Tool to your Windows PC.
- Launch the Hextech Repair Tool, then from the tools’ window, click on the Reinstall option.
- Reinstall the LoL by tapping on the Start button
After reinstallation, start the game to see if the critical error still appears.
Solution 4. Uninstall GeForce Experience
Sometimes the NVidia GeForce Experience can be the cause of a critical error that has occurred, and the process must be terminated. Uninstalling it might be the fix you so badly need. Here is how to go about it.
- Press Win + R keys to launch Run, then type appwiz.cpl in the search box then hit Enter.
- A program list will appear then right-click the NVidia GeForce Experience then select Uninstall.
- Tap Yes to confirm the operation then follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall the program.
- Go back and play the game to see if the error is now cleared.
Solution 5: Disable the Third-Party Antivirus Software
The error in LoL can be blocked by an antivirus. Disable the antivirus following the steps above then see if the error persists. Alternatively, you can also exempt the League of Legends from the antivirus program.
Solution 6: Change some settings
If you are still here, perhaps the error is again appearing on your PC. Changing some settings from your control panel is another way to fix the error.
- Click on the Startup button and launch the Control Panel
- Select the View by option then click Small Icons.
- Run Network and Sharing Center.
- Tap on Internet Options.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- A new window will pop-up, select the Reset button
- Tick the box next to Delete Personal Settings.
- Re-launch LoL and see if the error is still appearing.
Solution 7: Delete LoL from Task manager
You might still be experiencing “a critical error has occurred and the process must be terminated.” Now, take the step to remove LoL from the task manager.
- Press ctrl+alt+delete simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Select Task Manager.
- Navigate to Processes.
- Delete all League of Legends active clients.
- Run the game and see if it is now clear of the error.
Solution 8: Changing LOL Settings
Changing the settings in LoL and cleaning up the game folder and see if you can play the game without interruptions by a critical error has occurred, and the process must be terminated”.
- Click on “Windows + R” the command will open Run then type “task manager.”
- Open the task manager then by hitting the “Enter” key.
- End all other games that are not related to LoL by Tapping “Processes”
- Also, end “Discord,” “Origin,” of other applications that might disrupt the normal game function.
- Right-click on the shortcut for LoL then click “Open File Location.”
- From the game location, Delete all the “Data” to remove older configurations.
- A download of some configurations will redownload to help remove any blocks when you initiate the game. Once downloading is complete, you should not experience any more problems.
- Once the files are deleted, right-click the executable game then click Properties.
- Under properties, tap “Compatibility” then check “Disable Fullscreen Optimizations.”
- Check the “Run as Administrator” button
- Save changes by Selecting “Apply” then “OK.”
- The game should be allowed through your firewall, which you should make sure before restarting the game to find out if the error is fixed.
Solution 9: Upgrade Windows
LoL is a Windows game. And, an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fixes the critical error immediately. Windows 7 has been a favorite to many users of the OS, but now it is steamrolled by Microsoft’s latest version Windows 10.
Windows 7 drivers are almost outdated, and game developers focus on the latest versions of the OS. The error, “a critical error has occurred, and the process must be terminated” could be occurring due to incompatibility with the old drives. Therefore, update your Windows drive to the latest version and enjoy your game without any interruptions.
Solution 10: Apply Appimage on Wine
Running LoL in the absence of a particular wine patch and custom libc when using Unix based OS like Linux or wine then it can explain the error. We recommend that you apply both wine patches and custom libc to your wine installation then run the game. Before trying to run the LoL, adjust some variables like your Game installation path.
League of Legends is a popular game mostly played on Windows OS. It is a topdeck game because it is continuously updated, keeping fans on toes. However, an interruption by the critical error is a bug hindering fans from enjoying the game. Don’t sweat it or feel frustrated as the above fixes will resolve the issue for you.
Several issues can cause the error a critical error has occurred and the process must be terminated. With so many ways to fix the issue, you can begin with the one-click solution before proceeding to other fixes. Download the software Restoro or Hextech Repair tools to fix the problem automatically.
After installing the software to your PC, launch a general scan, and everything should fall into place in a few minutes. All your old version drives and the software will be updated, and the error experience will be gone. However, if the tools don’t work for you, run the above solutions, and find one that ends your issue.
The above solutions are different ways to fix a critical error has occurred and the process must be terminated for you to keep playing just like before. Apply any of them and please let us know the one that fixed the problem for you.
Read More: Can The Human Eye See 8K?