It does not matter whether you are a Mac user or haven’t used Mac before; there are many tips and tricks on using your Mac efficiently that you might not know. These tips are often designed to make you more productive at work or while using Mac for your personal needs. As most countries are under lockdown due to the spread of coronavirus, this article will help readers who can spend some considerable time understanding the various Mac tips and tricks.
1. Convert your desktop folders into Emoji
There is never a better way of transforming the folders on the desktop of your Mac to an Emoji of your choice.
- For creating a new folder, the user will have to click the option denoted as ‘File’. Then click ‘New Folder’.
- You can browse Google to search for the Emoji you like the most.
- You should then drag the image towards the desktop.
- Open the image to see the preview.
- Make the image transparent by clicking the markup icon that is displayed as a magic wand.
- A moving outline will be displayed once you click the background of the image.
- Choose the option ‘Edit’ and then select the option ‘Cut’.
- Once done, select the markup icon again.
- Now, you have to drag a box around the Emoji.
- Choose ‘Edit’ and then click ‘Select All’.
- Press ‘Command + C’.
- Now head towards the actual folder created on the desktop and right-click the folder option.
- Choose the option denoted as ‘Get Info’.
- A screen will be displayed.
- You should select the option denoted as a blue folder icon.
- Click on ‘Command + V’.
- The Emoji will appear.
2. Take a Scrolling Screenshot
Even though capturing screenshots of the displayed screen is easy in Mac, not many of them know that it is also possible to take a screenshot of the entire page and a screenshot of the scrolling web page content with the help of certain apps. For detailed steps, you can click on https://setapp.com/how-to/take-a-scrolling-screenshot.
3. Reset Password
For those who forgot their Mac password, there are two ways in which macOS allows you to log back into your MacBook again. One is through recovery mode, and another method is through using Apple ID.
- Switch off your Mac device.
- Press and hold ‘Command + R’ while pressing the power button.
- You should continue pressing ‘Command + R’ until you can view a progress bar displayed below the Apple logo on the screen.
- It means your Mac device is now in recovery mode.
- You should then click the option denoted as ‘Utilities > Terminal’. Next, type ‘reset password’ in the window that pops up and click on the ‘Return’ button. You will be able to view the reset password tool.
Apple ID is used whenever a user tries to enter a wrong password multiple times. You should then enter the Apple ID email address and password to reset your email address.
4. Do calculations seamlessly using Spotlight
Interested Mac users can use the Spotlight feature of Mac to perform calculations and currency conversions easily. In addition, it can save you time compared to doing these functions using a mouse.
To find Spotlight, a user will have to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Choose to open the magnifying glass icon displayed at the top-left side of the menu bar.
- You can also see Spotlight by Pressing Command + Space on your keyboard.
5. Add New Keyboard Shortcut
What makes Mac even more interesting is that it offers users the option to create their shortcut keys for accessing any menu option they wish as and when required.
Steps to Follow
- Click ‘System Preferences’.
- Choose ‘Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts’.
- The user will then have to click the ‘+’ icon.
- You will be able to see a pop-up that will ask the user to enter the application they require, the name of the menu command followed by the keyboard shortcut which the user prefers.
- Once done, the user can click the ‘Add’ button.
6. Rename Multiple Files Simultaneously
You can do so by navigating to the Finder and choosing the photos or documents you wish to rename. You can rename the items as you wish from this option. You can also add and replace text from this option.
7. Hiding the Menu Bar
To hide a menu bar on a Mac computer, you have to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Navigate to ‘System Preferences > General’.
- Choose the option denoted as ‘Automatically hide and show the menu bar’.
8. Adjusting the Volume
There could be scenarios in which the volume of your Mac varies too high or too low when you select the nearest volume increment. You can adjust the sound volume more granularly by holding the down arrow key + the up-arrow key, which will help you increase or decrease the volume as you want.
Loved these tips and tricks for your Mac? Watch out this space for more!